Jocelyn's Evaluation

Monday, November 12, 2012

Jocelyn's evaluation was today, and I'm happy to say that it went much better than her assessment did!  We had a big playroom all to ourselves and there were three ladies there helping to evaluate her.  I sat to the side and just watched.  At first she was hesitant, but we were all happy that she warmed up quickly and did particpate and play in all the activities.  They said they agreed about the difficulty understanding and communicating with her, and believe that she would benefit from attending some of their "speach classes" and even their "special" preschools, which are not for kids with disabilities but for kids who need a little extra help and attention.  They feel with her past experience in her other preschool, it would be a good transition and still help her learn the social skills she needs. 

Unfortunately they were only one side of the department, meaning they were unable to determine her elegibility for one of their programs, so we have yet another appointment scheduled the week after Thanksgiving.  At that appointment, there will be a special ed teacher, a speech language pathologist, and a general ed teacher to evaluate her.  And if I remember right, she'll be evaluated on her social behavior, physical/health, motor skills, and her educational/academic status.

I really think she is a very smart girl, and offering her a little help in both her vocal and social skills will really benefit her, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping she does just as well at the next appointment so she does qualify for any of their programs!

No comments:

Post a Comment